Thread: Fertomid side-effects

Default Fertomid side-effects

Hi Ladies
    This is my first month on Fertomid and I just want to check with those of you that have been on it before whether the side effects I am feeling are normal:
    I started taking it yesterday and since then I've been feeling dizzy, light headed, slightly nauseous and all together weird... like I can't think straight! I am also quite off balance (goes with the dizziness, I suppose). Emotionally, I am ok though... I'm actually in quite a good mood, in general. Just a bit tired.
    Yesterday I had quite a hectic headache too, but that seems to have dissipated today. My back and hips hurt a bit today though (a bit like before getting my period).
    I was just wondering if anyone else experienced similar symptoms and if there is anything I can do to lessen the effect? Luckily it's the weekend now, so I won't have to drive anywhere, because I won't be confident operating heavy machinery in this state! Haha!

Hi there. A friend of mine also just started fertomid and was reporting similar side effects.
    Me 44, DH 52
    Miscarriage Nov 2003 (Natural pregnancy)
    5 X IUI's
    3 X ICSI (2 x BFN, 1 X Chemical Pregnancy)
    4th ICSI - BFP (Beta's 156, 295, 516)
    Dylan Mathew Faure born on 29 April 2009 - all thanks and praise to our Father in heaven

2nd Attempt
    1X FET (BFN)
    2nd FET (no embryos survived the thaw) - The END!

3. Default

drinks lots of water to stay sharp hun what you are feeling is normal.....GL with your cycle

I don't know if it's anything like Femara, but no fertility drug since (not even the injectables) has ever given me the crazies in quite the same intensity as those little tablets. Drink LOTS of water and buckle up for the ride. Warn the people that can be warned Know that the minute the pills stop, you will be normal again!
    Me: 41, egg quality issues - 43 eggs retrieved through IVF, not a single normal day three embryo ever
    DH: 40, morphology has gone from 6% -> 5% -> 9% over 4 years
    TTC: since March 2008
    HSG: fallopian tubes are clear, but likely damaged
    AMH: 6.3 in October 2009 -> 3.74 in April 2011 -> 3.25 in May 2013!
    With Dr H at CFC
    Mini IVF/ICSI #1, May 2011 (Femara, Cetrotide, Ovidrel) - 3 eggs, 3 fertilised (but low grade embies), transferred 3, BFN
    Hysteroscopy - October 2011 - polyp removed
    IVF/ICSI #2, November 2011 (Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide, Lucrin trigger, Intralipid, Gestone) - 24 eggs, 2 low grade blasts transferred, nothing to freeze, BFN
    Adoption Screening September 2012, waiting, hoping, and praying!
    Chocolate endometrioma on right ovary treated with 6 weeks Visanne
    IVF/ICSI #3, July 2013 (Gonal F, Cetrotide, Ovitrelle and Crinone) -> 16 eggs retrieved, 9 fertilised, 3 immature, 3 low grade pre blasts transferred, BFN
    Donor Egg IVF/ICSI #4, October 2014

Yup - unfortunately they are normal. As the other ladies say...drink lots of water and you'll start feeling normal soon

yip totally normal! The worst for me were the hot flashes! I would wake up in a pool of sweat! Lovely! Oh and sweaty feet allllll the time! Would have to change my socks like 3 times a day!
    Good luck with your cycle!

Yep, fertomid was not my friend - although apparently some people take it with no side effects.
    I actually found the worst for me was PMS like I've never experienced, almost ripped my husband's head off with totally bizarre mood swings. Crossing fingers and toes you have a BFP and therefore no PMS, but be warned.

But it's such an inexpensive drug that I think it really is worth enduring because it does work for a large number of women!
    Me: 35, PCOS, cycle all over the place, low progesterone etc etc
    DH: 36, low morphology

TTC #1: 2006-2010
    3 x timed cycles
    4 x IUI
    3 x IVF (ICSI, FET, ICSI)
    IVF/ICSI #2: 1st BFP! March 2011 - beautiful baby girl born

TTC #2:
    FET #2: July 2013 - BFN
    FET #3: Aug 2013 - cancelled (No viable embryos after defrost)
    IVF/ICSI #3: Oct 2013 - BFP!!! Betas 11dp3dt=139; 13dp3dt=301
    1st scan at 6w2d - one little jumping heart-beat pixel
    13 wk FAS: It's a girl!

I just had a fertomid baby! I didn't have many side effects, but was on a super low dose 25mg. I do hope it works for you as it did for me, despite the side effects you are having!
    Me : 34 PCO
    DH : 42 (seems all fine)

TTC 1 - 5 months
    beautiful girl born the 2 March 2009

TTC 2
    Miscarriage Dec 2011 (6 weeks)
    Miscarriage April 2012 (5 weeks)

POA
    Metformin / Clomid and AI with Bioart, starting Sept 2012

Spontaneous BFP 19 Sept 2012

FS is very happy with everything and says the pregnancy is extremely viable.
    6wk3d scan - baby is measuring exactly on track and has a heartbeat of 125!

31 Oct 2012 - had scan with gynae @ 9wk6days, HB is 173, baby was asleep but doing great!
    6 Nov 2012 - had another scan with FS, NT was 0.5 and nasal bone is present! He says he thinks it is a girl! (90%)
    12 Nov - NT with Prof Nicolau. Downs Risk is 1: 5400 - we are in the clear and looks like a girl.
    12 Dec - Scan with Gynae (15 weeks 6 days) - all looking good, definitely a girl!
    17 May 2013 - Mia Ariana born by C/S - spent 10 days in the ICU with congenital pneumonia.
    My family is complete!

Hi there

I also had quite a few side effects on Fertomid. I experienced headaches, mood swings, my boobs were sore and my pelvic area hurt a bit. I drank a lot of water and used a hot water bottle to ease the pelvic pain.
    Don't worry though, the side effects wear off once you stop.

All the best with this cycle, it's a small price to pay for that BFP
    Me: 28 PCOS
    DH: 29 Count & morphology super, average motility
    TTC 4 years
    Sept 2011- Sept 2012 multiple gynaes
    3x Fertomid cycles; 1x BFP; Miscarriage at 7 weeks Nov 2012
    May 2013 - Dr G at VL
    HSG - Tubes clear; polyp
    Hysteroscopy - removed polyp
    Aug- Oct 2013 - Mental break
    Nov 2013 - Cancelled IUI cycle
    Dec- Mar 2014 - IUI#1,2,3 BFN
    May 2014 - IVF (ICSI)#1 BFP
    1st beta (6dp5dt) - 22.9
    2nd sneaky beta (9dp5dt) - 100.6
    3rd official beta (12dp5dt) - 503.3
    4th beta (16dp5dt) - 2143
    5th sneaky beta (22dp5dt) - 9516
    16 week scan - Team Blue!!

Thanx guys!
    I must say, I started feeling better around day 3 (drinking water helped) and today is the last day so it's all over. Went to see the FS today and it seems I have 4 follicles that have started developing (one in the one ovary and 3 in the other). They are still quite small (its only day 7), but the doc is confident that they will grow and that we will have more than one ready when we do IUI. I am going back on Friday for another scan and blood tests to confirm ovulation and then (hopefully) we'll do IUI on Monday!
    Fingers and toes all crossed!!