Thread: Can sperm leaking out after BD give positive OPK?

Question Can sperm leaking out after BD give positive OPK?

Morning all!

This is a slightly embarrassing question!

Since I have only started having cycles again thanks to glucophage and eltroxin, I have been trying to get to know my cycle using charting etc.

On CD 16 after BD I POAS and got a positive OPK (the Clear Blue smiley face) BUT (TMI warning!!!) I did notice that some sperm came out whilst I was peeing and so now I am wandering whether it could have been the semen that made the result positive. Dr Google says that semen contains some LH. Last cycle I ovulated on CD 19 (I know this as I was at the FS having scans for a timed cycle), so to get a positive this cycle on CD 16 is quite conceivable. I did POAS the day before and the day after my "Positive" results and got negatives. So now I am confused.

Thanks if you can help me!!

I don't know the answer to your question but when I was still using OPK's I used to get faint lines building up to Ovulation day and then on day of ovulation a very strong line, and the next day nothing. I used to use the Dischem brand.
    [SIZE=1]Me: 37 Blocked Tubes, AMH 0,7
    DH: 39 Morphology improved from last attempt. Perfect now.
    TTC: Since October 2008

2002: Lap all was fine.
    Jun 2009: Suspected MC
    Aug 2010: Colposcopy
    CFC - Dr Heylen
    Sep 2010: Cone Biopsy, Laparoscopy & hysteroscopy.
    Oct 2010: HSG
    IVF ICSI 1 - Dec 2010 -BFN with acupuncture
    IVF ICSI 2 - March 2011 - BFN with acupuncture and intralipids
    FET - April 2011 BFN - With reflexology and intralipids.
    May 2011 : Colposcopy
    June 2011: Hysteroscopy D&C, Cervix Dilation
    IVF ICSI 3 - BFP - Betas 9/11/13/18/20 DP5DT - 82/202/639/4423/5381
    Our beautiful little girl Kyra born on the 16th of April 2012
    Nov 2011 Lap to attempt opening of Fallopian Tubes - Negative outcome.
    Jan 2013- ICSI 4 BFN

FET Aug 2013 - BFN
    http://babiesandus.wordpress.com/

Thanks Sage!

Good luck with your wait...

Hi Nikki

There are no embarrassing questions here!

I used OPK's religiously for a year and half. I always get 2 days of LH surge and show up positive on the sticks 2 days in a row - most people will only show up positive for 1 day, and even then apparently only for a few hours so its possible to miss the surge if you test 24 hours apart. The rest of the month its negative for me (despite me having PCOS and elevated LH levels).

The semen would not have given you a false positive reading, so you can discount that. The only way to get a false positive OPK is if you had been given an hCG trigger or if you have PCOS with incredibly high LH levels (in which case you would get a positive every day). LH and hCG are chemically very similar and the OPK can pick up hCG and give you a positive.

But assuming you didn't have the trigger, then this is sounding great! Looks like you would have ovulated somewhere around CD17.

I also did temp charting which I found very useful. I used to pick up my temperature rise one or two days after ovulation (so 2 or 3 days after the surge). So you should see yours soon.

In the meantime you and DH should have lots of fun together .

Wishing you all the best for this cycle!
    Me: 33, PCOS, IR, Endo stage 2, Rt tube blocked, Thyroid antibodies - Metformin & Euthyrox
    DH: 29, High SC, Lowish morph, Antisperm antibodies
    TTC 1: 13 months (no BCP for 2 1/2 yrs)
    Nov 10: Lap - stage 2 endo & adhesions
    Dec 10: Natural cycle IUI - BFP, m/c @ 5 wks
    Jan 11: Natural cycle - chem
    Feb 11: HSG - right tube blocked. Perfect PCT!!! Timed cycle - BFN
    Mar 11: Timed cycle - BFN
    Apr 11: Timed cycle - BFP!!! betas: 7(9DPO), 62(11DPO), 150(13DPO), 691(17DPO), 1813 (19DPO)
    Jan 12: Perfect LG born 3.91kg at 38w3d

May 13: Surprise BFP! Betas 24 (11dpo?), 83 (14dpo?) - m/c @ 7 wks
    Sep 13: Chemical (natural timed cycle)
    Nov 13: Chemical (natural timed cycle)
    Dec 13: BFP

POA: trying to find a FS in the UK

Thanks SO much for the reply Melonius! I am temp charting so I am going to see what the temps do in the next few days...

HUGE CONGRATS on your BFP!